Beauty should be more than skin deep in a beauty salon. And finding small ways to make your salon a healthier place to be will pay off in big ways for you, your clients and the environment. Here are 7 things you can do to green your salon starting today.
1. Choose Organic Hair and Nail Products-There is a growing variety of products available that make this easier to do. Choosing to use products with natural ingredients rather than those with chemicals is great for your clients and leaves less of a footprint on the earth. And using more environmentally friendly products will drastically reduce the chemical smells often associated with salons.
2. Use Fluorescent Rather Than Incandescent Lighting-Fluorescent lights are more energy efficient because they produce up to 6 times more light than an incandescent bulb of the same wattage. They use fewer natural resources because they require less energy, and they put money in your pocket because using less energy costs less money.
3. Use Boar Bristle Brushes-Using this type of brush rather than plastic means less plastic in landfills. It is also a healthier brush for hair and scalp. The boar bristle brush is excellent at removing dirt and dust, stimulates the scalp, and as a result spreads natural oils through the hair. Having your customers experience this type of brush will help you easily justify the price of admission.
4. Use Organic Fabrics-Choose natural fabrics for window treatments, towels, capes. Towels and capes made of organic fabrics will feel better against the skin and will enhance the experience we have come to expect when visiting the salon.
5. Choose to Use Biodegradable Products-The best way to determine if and to what extent soaps, shampoos, cleaning agents, and detergents will return to nature is to look for the “certified biodegradable” designation from the Scientific Certification System. A product with this designation will be 70 percent decomposed within 28 days after disposal. Using products with this certification protects our water supplies and our health.
6. Safe Storage–Store partially used products that contain chemicals away from areas where client services are performed. Put chemical trash in metal trash cans with tops that keep fumes contained.
7. Continuously Filter Chemical Fumes-Unless you use an air purifier to filter the air in your salon, you run the risk of your being constantly exposed to fumes all day every day. The most effective filter for chemicals has been proven to be a carbon based filter with additives that insure elimination of volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) that are often found in products used in beauty salons. Allowing harmful fumes to constantly be replaced by fresh air makes your salon a greener place to be.